Monday 12 November 2012

Lip-reading babies

I had a recent visit with my neice, who is just over 3 and 1/2 years old, and I was impressed with how quickly her vocabulary and sentence structure had improved within the 2 months since my last visit  home.

I was recently browsing a website and found an older article from February this year. Studies have shown that during the time when babies transition from babbling to talking, so does their focus shift from watching your eyes to watching your lips. This finding means that lip-reading is just as important for the development of language as listening.

So make sure that your baby can see your lips when you speak to them (and can't see your lips when you don't want them to pick up other words!)

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/337718/title/Babies_lip-read_before_talking